Walter E. Daniels
2802 Deer Street, Mohegan Lake, NY 10547
(914) 245-1250 wdhikes at gmail.com
Computer expertise developed over 58 years. Diverse interests with short learning curve. Proven analytic and technical skills. Experience in project planning, development, and implementation including publications and trail management. Ability to work effectively with a variety of people. Well established network in the environmental and hiking communities.
Research Staff Member, IBM Research 1968-1998
- Skills: Programming (Fortran, Basic, C, Assembler, various 3GLs, HTML, Java), Specification writing, Human interface design, Graphics, System administration, Management, Web design, Internationalization
- Groups: Computer Aided Instruction, CP/CMS system programmer, System A, Individual Computing (manager), PowerPC Group (Alpha port of X windows to AIX, Alpha port of NT to PowerPC, porting OS/2 to PowerPC, AIX system administration), Home Networking.
Instructor, MIT (Physics and Education Research Center) 1966-1968, Taught first year physics; research in computer aided instruction.
New York-New Jersey Trail Conference
- Member of the Board of Directors - 2011-
- Elected to be an Honorary Member of the Trail Conference in 2009
- ATC Biennial Conference 2007 Steering Committee - 2004-2007
- Trail Assessment Team Leader, 2000-2007, Sterling Forest State Park
- Member of Science Advisory Committee, 2002-2004
- Chair of Technical Committee, 1999-2010
- USFS Certified chainsawyer, 1997-
- Webmaster,1997-, Originated and currently design and maintain site, http://www.nynjtc.org
- Publications Committee, 1994-, Develop ArcView based GIS system to replace handdrawn maps with digitally generated maps. Layout of books in PageMaker
- Computer Consultant, 1983-, Recommend, purchase, install and maintain hardware and software. Train staff and volunteers.
- Supervisor, Appalachian Trail from Bear Mountain Bridge to Rt 301, 1990-, Solve trail and management problems. Supervise 12 volunteers. Interact with officials. Chainsaw certified.
- Workshop leader, 1981-, Develop and present workshops on trail maintenance, construction, monitoring, design, and inventory.
- Supervisor, Hubbard/Perkins Conservation Area, 1992-1995, Designed and supervised construction of a 22-mile trail system.
- Trail Crew Chief , 1983 -2007, Projects on AT in Dutchess and Putnam Counties and all other Trail Conference trails east of Hudson River
- Co-Chair, Putnam Appalachian Trail Management Committee, 1983-1990, Recruited and trained volunteers to build 10 miles of new trail. Interacted with local officials. Managed National Park Service property.
- Registrar, ATC Biannual Conference - first computerized registration system, 1981-83
- Litter Day Chairman,1979-1983, Organized and ran annual event with 400 volunteers.
Appalachian Trail Conference
- Board of Managers, 1999-2005
- Member, Technical Committee, EIO, Pubs, RDT
- Member, Corridor Management Committee 1984-1986
- Member, Stewardship Council, 2007-2009
Town of Yorktown, NY
- Conservation Board 2000-2016
- Co-chair Advisory Committee on Open Space 2004-
- Assistant Girl Scout Leader, Lifeguard, Canoe Instructor, 1979-1990
- Assistant Boy Scout Scoutmaster, 1966-1968
- PhD in Physics (low temperature solid state), University of Maryland, 1966
- AB in Physics and Honors Math, Dartmouth, 1960
- American Association of Physics Teachers/American Physical Society, 1960-
- Association for Computing Machinery, 1968-
- Walkable Westchester, 2009 (hiking guide to Westchester County NY) 2nd edition 2014
- East Hudson Trails, 2003, map manager for digital three map set
- New Jersey Walk Book, 1998 assistant editor, computer technical assistant, writer
- New York Walk Book, 1998 assistant editor, computer technical assistant, writer
- Trails Policy of New York - New Jersey Trail Conference, Editor 1996
- Appalachian Trail, Local Management Plan, Dutchess and Putnam Counties, New York, Editor 1993
- Older technical publications (1961-1966)
- The President's Volunteer Service Award 2010
- Honorary Member, New York-New Jersey Trail Conference 2009
- AT 2000 Miler, 2007
- Webmaster of the Year, Dartmouth College Class of 1960, 2003
- National Park Service, 2003 Award for over 1500 hours of service (actually over 4000)
- Vibram™ Volunteer of the Year (NY), 1997
- IBM Research Division Outstanding Contribution Award, User Interface Work, 1996
- NY- NJ Trail Conference William Hoeferlin Award, 1992
- ADK 46er, 1987
- IBM Research Division Outstanding Contribution Award, EXEC 2 1979
- IBM First Patent Award, 1977
- Eagle Scout, 1952